Join the Growing Number of Public & Affordable Housing Providers with No-Smoking Policies
Download “The Benefits of No-Smoking Policies in Affordable Housing” with quotes from industry leaders throughout Oregon.
TOOLS for adopting no-smoking policies:
- HUD’s new resource: SmokeFree Housing – A Toolkit for Owners/Management Agents of Federally Assisted Public and Multi-family Housing
- Questions to ask your administrators and staff
- Analysis of unit renovation costs for non-smokers vs smokers
- No-smoking policy plan options & talking points developed by PNRC-NAHRO/CHEF
- Resident survey– logistics, tools and examples
- Housing Authority of Portland (now Home Forward) steps and key documents
- Nampa Housing Authority’s no-smoking policy
- Announcing the rule to residents – Five Reasons We Are Adopting a No-Smoking Policy
- Property Manager Training – “Making No-Smoking Rules Work in Affordable Housing”
- Enforcement Toolkit – steps, signs, sample warning letters
- Tobacco Quit Line Referral form – link your residents who want to quit with this free resource
- Medical Marijuana – information to help you decide what to do about this
- How can public health partners support this work?
- More landlord tools
- HUD reissued their 2009 notice 5/29/12 “strongly encouraging public housing authorities to implement no-smoking policies in some or all of their public housing units.” – no expiration date.
- HUD issued a notice 9/15/10 “to encourage owners and management agents participating in one of the Multifamily Rental Assistance Programs…to implement smoke-free housing policies in some or all of the properties they own or manage.”
- Read “The Federal Fair Housing Act and the protection of persons who are disabled by secondhand smoke in most private and public housing.”