Skip to content
Questions to Ask Yourselves As You Consider a No-Smoking Rule
- What would it take for us to adopt no-smoking rules for our properties?
- What steps will we have to take to make it happen?
- What might be barriers or challenges? How could we prevent/resolve those?
- Have we gotten feedback from staff about:
- Cleaning problems created by smokers?
- Complaints from people living next to smokers?
- Should we conduct a resident survey to determine people’s preferences?
- What exactly is our policy going to cover?
- What would a reasonable timeline be?
- Which steps could our local public health partners help us with?
- Resident Survey: mailing, tabulating, written report
- Resident meetings to discuss the policy, let people air their feelings
- Training of onsite property managers to help them be comfortable with policy and with talking to people about smoking
- Preparing presentation for the Board
- When do we get started?