The Housing Authority of Portland, Oregon (now Home Forward) adopted a No-Smoking policy August 2009 for all of its public housing units (1993 units) and July 2010 for its affordable housing Units (3760 units).
The rule prohibits smoking INSIDE units and common areas and OUTSIDE within 10 ft of the buildings including patios, porches and balconies.
HAP has generously shared the steps they tool in adopting their policy as well as key documents they used in the process.
Overall implications for HAP’s No-Smoking Policy
- Improve the condition/quality of housing provided for all residents.
- Provide site staff with equal access to a non-smoking work environment that all other HAP employees receive.
- Reduce the safety risk from smoking-related fires.
- Reduce turnover costs related to cleaning smoking-related damages. (HAP will be tracking the turnover costs beginning FY’10).
HAP’s Steps toward their No-Smoking Policy (download a pdf of these steps)
Step 1. Resident Input
Step 2. Staff Education
Step 3. Policy Development
Step 4. Board Approval
Step 5. Resident Services Engagement
Step 6. Enforcement Plan
Step 7. Physical Modifications (Note: Though HAP’s Board requested that smoking areas be designated, many other housing authorities have chosen not to have smoking areas on the property.)
HAP’s Documents to Share:
- Memo to HAP Board of Commissioners in support of No-Smoking Policy (pdf)
- Notice of Revision of Lease (pdf)
- No-Smoking Lease Addendum (pdf)
- No-Smoking Policy Q & A (pdf)